HugChina >> China Forum >> Highlighted Events >> Postgraduate establishes food safety website,warning Chinese are exchanging feces to eat

This thread is viewed 1199 times and replied 0 times.        New Thread
Edit Title:[HugChina] Postgraduate establishes food safety website,warning Chinese are exchanging feces to eat
China Forum member Icon
Bernd Chang
Army Chief
Credits:74130
Charm:-2480
Postgraduate Wu Heng established a food safety website called 'Throw out of window' in June 2011. The website indicates that the food safety problems of China become worse and increased. Wu Heng warns that Chinese are exchanging feces to eat.

May 5, 2012, Shanghai - Wu Heng, a postgraduate student from Fudan University had not thought that he would become a national internet celebrity by establishing a food safety website and drawing the map of food safety situation of China.

On June 17, 2011, the website "Throw out of window" (掷出窗外) jointly designed by Wu Heng and other 34 volunteers got online. So far as many as 3000 articles concerning food safety problems of China have been stored in the website database. The website has recorded more than 190,000 visits. Some of the website reports have been even reposted by Shanghai offical Weibo account Shanghai Release. Recently the website once got paralysed due to too high traffic.

On the homepage of the website Throw out of window, the map of food safety situlation of China drawn by Wu Heng reveals that the number of regions having severe food safety problems in China has increased from 4 in 2004 to 11 in 2011. Almost all provinces and regions to the south of the Yangtse River have severe food safety problems.

In April 2011, Wu Heng was startled to read a news report telling the beef could be fake and could cause cancer if too often eaten. He thought nobody should ignore grief of others because nobody is sure that the next one is not him. He then decided to establish a website dedicating to collecting reports concerning food safety problems to remind more Chinese of the food safety situation of China.

The name "Throw out of window" came from a documentary novel of USA.

Report warns that Chinese are exchanging feces to eat

Wu Heng names his report Food Safety Situation of China as Exchanging Feces to Eat (易粪相食). This name is a derivative from the Chinese idiom exchanging children to eat (易子相食) firstly mentioned in Zuo Zhuan (左传) written by an ancient Chinese philosopher. Exchanging feces to eat means that every food products manufacturer knows the products he makes is rubbish and so never eat them, thus in the long run, the food everyone eat is all possibly rubbish. The chicken wings I make is of problem so I never eat them, but I may drink milk; The milk I make is problematic and so I never drink it but I will eat chicken wings. No matter whether you are willing or not, there is no safe island in the sea of problematic food.

Wu Heng's website was at a time paralysed on May 3. He had to pay more to change to a better server and buy a new domain. "The fee of 600 RMB per year is bearable for me and the maintenance of the website is shouldered by many volunteers." Wu Heng said.

Shanghai government to take action on food safety scandals

After the website of Wu Heng gets popular, the government of Shanghai has decided to take more measurements to tackle food safety problems. On March 29, a hotline 12331 dedicated to hearing food safety complaints was established in Shanghai. Customers are encouraged to inquire, report and complain any food safety problem. A offcial of Shanghai Food Safety Commission said customers are welcome to participate in monitoring food safety and for those reporting food safety scandals would receive rewards as high as 200,000 RMB.

[Source of this article:HugChina]

Picture description:The map of food safety situlation of China on the homepage of the website 'Throw out of window' reveals that the number of regions experiencing severe food safety problems in China has increased from 4 in 2004 to 11 in 2011.

1100114-food-safety-733x450.jpg

Welcome to visit HugChina.com! HugChina - Embrace Fortune
Profile  Send Message    Created Time: Sun, May 6, 2012 03:18 AM      Add as Friend 

Go Top
Note: * are required
* Username     Password
  Picture You can upload one jpg picture of less than 200kb

Content

No more than 8000 and no less than 2 characters

Username         Password             Forget Password?    Not a member?

Follow Us

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+

HugChina provides comprehensive information about modern and traditional China: China stories, China pictures, China Facts, Sexy China, Learn Chinese materials, Chinese food, Chinese cuisine, TCM, Chinese medicine, China forum, etc..